Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thanksgiving...




Can you believe Thanksgiving is right around the corner? Amazing! 2008 flew by! My favorite part about Thanksgiving is of course the food! I've been busy figuring out our thanksgiving menu. No, Matt and I do not host Thanksgiving. We have ZERO space! Matt's mom has thanksgiving at her house and despises cooking and baking, so I usually plan the meal. I enjoy it!


This year will be slightly different then last year. I stopped eating meat in January. No, I'm not going to subject the guests to tofukey, and soy gravy (Though I will be preparing it for myself!) I am making some meat alternatives, but the meat will be there (I'm sure the Sciarini's reading this have breathed a huge sigh of relief!).


So I thought I would share a couple of meat free thanksgiving dishes I'm making this year!



Day Ahead
Mashed Potatoes
10 Servings
8 potatoes, peeled, cut into pieces
1 8-ounce package cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
Garlic salt
Butter, melted
One day before serving: Cook potatoes covered in large pot of boiling salted water
until tender, about 20-25 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to same pot. Add cream
cheese and sour cream and mash well. Season potatoes to taste with garlic salt and
pepper.
Butter an 8x12-inch flat casserole dish. Spoon in the potato mixture, and brush the top
well with melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate.
The following day: Return the mixture to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350*F.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.


These potatoes are AWESOME and flavorful without using chicken broth!


Crock-pot Vegetarian Stuffing

2 cups chopped celery

2 cups chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped parsley

2 (8 ounce) cans mushrooms, drained

12 cups stale bread, cut into cubes

1 tsp poultry seasoning

1 tsp dried thyme

1 1/2 tsp sage

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp dried marjoram

2 eggs, beaten

4 cups vegetable broth
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Saute the celery, onion, parsley and mushrooms until onions are soft.
In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes and vegetables. Add the poultry seasoning, thyme, sage, pepper, salt and marjoram. Toss together well. Add egg and enough broth to moisten.
Lightly pack into crock pot; cover and cook on high for45 minutes. Reduce to low and cook for 4 to 8 hours.

Makes12 servings.


So good, and saves your space in the oven for the turkey (or tofukey!)

No comments: