Thursday, April 10, 2008

Go Go Greasecar!!!

a href="http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/sarahybethy/?action=view¤t=greasecar20kit.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket<

So Matt and I have decided to take the plunge! I've been looking into Bio Fuel options for quite some time now. I came across something called "greasecar". Greasecar is kit you can buy to convert your diesel engine car to run on used vegetable oil. Matt and I have been sharing a car, which has worked out for quite some time, but it's time I get my own. I didn't want a car payment, but we've been saving and can buy a nice used Jetta outright. I wanted a Jetta long before I went "green" and now I'm really excited about having a clean burning Jetta. It's a little more work, but for almost free gas...ok!! I totalled things and I spend about $40 a week on fuel (that's a good week!). the total is $1920 a year. The conversion kit is about $1200, so it will pay for itself in less then a year!

But Sarah, where do you get all of this oil?

This is where the "work' comes in. You have to build relationships with local restaurants that are willing to hand over their used oil from fryers. Most places pay to have it disposed of, so as long as you're consistent with picking up, it's a win win situation!

After you have this oil, what needs to happen before you can put it into your tank?

First it needs to be filtered to get any little pieces of food out. Then left to sit for a week so the water settles to the bottom. After that it can be funneled into your tank.

How many miles do you get per gallon of veggie gas?

The same as regular fuel.

So we're excited. We want people to be interested in our little project and maybe more and more people will switch over. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help figure it out!!

2 comments:

.Dee Lish said...

That's so cool!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so cool!! Let me know how the grease car goes.