Sunday, January 3, 2010

Germs.

Germs are everywhere. Not like I didn't know this, but in the last 6 months I have been sick with flus, colds, sinus infections, stomach bugs, tonsil infections and ear infections. It's been a never-ending battle to stay healthy. I find this not only kind of disturbing, but surprising as well. I'm slightly germ-a-phobic. I know that being too germ-a-phobic can be bad for your immune system, and I thought I was keeping it in check. However, now I can't help but wonder if I'm taking it too far. However, we are living with my in-laws, who have nicknamed their house "Grand Central Station". People are always in and out. You can find me disinfecting the house almost daily.

When I was in early college, I started getting freaked out about germs. It was after working in a school, and I ended up getting really sick with pneumonia. It took me months to feel okay again. So I started using antibacterial had gel like crazy, buying travel sized Lysol, and washing my hands a lot. My doctor actually told me to stop because I took it a little too far. So I did. I didn't get sick often after that. Now it's hard not to do too much because of how awful I have felt.

So maybe all of my disinfecting isn't so great after all. It doesn't make me feel any better about the disgustingness that is the germs of others. But oh well. All I care about now is not feeling like crap. And not having to stay away from my asthma-inflicted husband that gets sicknesses a million times worse then I do. I guess it could be worse, but I'd be lying if I said this isn't sucky!

No comments: