Sunday, August 4, 2013

Concerts, Shootings, and Space.



Matt and I just spent a long weekend enjoying the nice weather of Monterey, and the music of Spirit West Coast. We enjoyed a ton of concerts, and working with K-Love radio for the weekend . Getting away is always a huge blessing to me! I thrive when I'm away from my crazy life. I wish I could be a professional vacationer!

The timing of our trip couldn't have been better! Late Wednesday night, Matt and I were packing up our car for our trip, when I heard people outside arguing. Our house is in a pretty quiet neighborhood, but the apartments across the street, like most apartments in Stockton, are a bit sketch. We hadn't had a single problem until then. Matt went outside just being a bit nosey, when one guy pulled out a gun and shot the other guy. Thankfully Matt heard the click of the gun before the first shot was fired and was able to get into the house and on the floor, but holy cupcakes was it terrifying! I quickly scrambled to find my phone and called the police. We had at least 8 police cars and an ambulance in front of our house within a couple of minutes. The victim was taken by ambulance, and I guess was expected to be okay. Matt was interviewed by the police for awhile, and then needless to say, we left.

I'd be lying if I said that having a shooting right in front of our house didn't make me anxious, but I've handled it much better than I expected. In fact, besides a few random panic attacks (like last night when I woke up with knee pain and convinced myself I have bone cancer...), I've been way way less anxious in general. Though I would probably attribute my newfound not-so-anxiousness to avoiding both people and situations that stress me out. I have someone in my life that scrutinizes and criticizes everything I do, and simply not being around them has done wonders for my stress level! Who knew? 

Now that we're back to real life, I've thrown myself back into the world of Veterinary medicine, and out of school-- at least for the semester. Examining x-rays, assisting surgeries, and drawing lots and lots of blood is how my days are spent. I wouldn't have it any other way! 

No comments: