Saturday, April 11, 2009

"What Now?" Saturday...

Today is my favorite day of the year. I know, it sounds a little crazy. The Easter season has many different days of significance. There is Ash Wednesday the kick off for the season of Lint. There is Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and then Easter Sunday (which also marks the end of the season of Lint.)

Yesterday was good Friday. Our church does a service and it's always packed. What they do is beautiful. It makes you think about what Jesus had to go through. It's always hard to think about what he endured because I can't keep it together and needed his sacrifice. While I'm incredibly thankful for His gift to us, it still saddens me. I to this day, cannot watch a Crucifixion scene without bawling.

Of all of the "Holy" days mentioned, today is not one. The day between the crucifixion and the Resurrection. I can picture the disciples sad and confused, awaiting some sort of sign from their savior. Praying that the Man they were following wasn't a lunatic. I imagine the disciples faced some public scrutiny. There was no doubt about it, the man they loved, respected and ultimately worshiped, was dead and in the grave. I would imagine there was anger and doubt. I also imagine that there was some faith that Jesus was still in fact, the Messiah.

Caedmon's Call describes today well in their song "Valleys Fill First"

"And it's like that long Saturday your death and the rising day When no one wrote a word, wondered is this the end. But you were down there in the well, saving those that fell. Bringing them to the mountain again".



So I call today "What Now?" Saturday. The church is empty today. However, it's A day of faith, for our Lord is to rise tomorrow. A day to reflect on the times that we doubt and remember how God proves to us over and over that he is there despite what we feel.

Have an awesome day!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I wrote this post last year, but I figured I'd repost today. Happy (almost) Easter!