Monday, December 22, 2008

Two turtle doves...




Today, I realized what makes Christmas such a magical time for me. It's in the giving. The selfless acts that people do around Christmas make my heart smile. Yesterday, I walked into our church kitchen, and saw 90+ boxes of food going to needy families (pictured above). I don't know the name of the woman in charge, but I will say she was so full of love. All of the boxes had been accounted for. Yet person after person walked into that kitchen and expressed a need. Without blinking, she handed them a box and said "Merry Christmas". She could have said "oh these boxes are going to someone else" but she didn't, she trusted the Lord to provide, which he did! This morning, I watched a news program that I watch often. I was moved by an ongoing story about the great need in our community, and how people, bad economy and all, came through and gave Christmas to people that would have gone without otherwise. Another story told of the "layaway angel" that paid off the layaway of some families that weren't able to pay for their kids Christmas gifts, and were faced between giving their children gifts, and eating. A choice I wish no one ever had to make. Of course, that tends to be the same story every year. It still moved me into the depths of my heart.


Oh how different our world would be if these things were carried beyond the holiday season! Of course, it might make the Christmas deeds of people seem "ordinary" year to year, but maybe not. Maybe it would cause people to have to step up even more during the Christmas season. Maybe one day it would even translate into serving the people around the world in a more prominent way. In the name of Christ, or not. Not that I'm discounting Christ, but I believe that God can be used even in the good works people do that were not done in his name...


Today. I woke up in a funk. I could probably name a list of reasons why, but I'll refrain. However, how can I even feel that way? I have 100,000,000,000,000 times more then so many people. Jesus, A place to live, a job, food, money in the bank, and the like. I have no excuse to be in a funk. I am required simply by my blessings to be cheerful.


That is the magic of Christmas. Now, we just have to spread the word that "good deeds" are needed throughout the year, not just at Christmas time...

No comments: