Monday, December 8, 2008

How often we forget...





It's Christmastime, undoubtedly my most favorite time of year. I'm sure that it is for a majority of people. Even if you don't believe that Jesus came to the earth as God in flesh, you cannot deny the magic of the season. However, I DO believe in the authenticity, and infallibility of the story of the Christ child. So much so, that even hearing a Christmas song often finds me in tears.

I didn't grow up with the the gospel. I didn't know what Christmas meant. While I knew the story of baby Jesus, I had no clue as to the blessed implications of his birth, or what it really meant. When you're a child, it's a sweet story. I'm sure if you had strong Christian parents that were very intentional about making sure you understood the meaning of Christmas, that things would make it more understandable. However, for me, that is not how it was. In fact, Christmas growing up was a tense season.




Being an adult changes things. I want to honor Christ in my Christmas, I want my focus to be on him in all of my Christmas preparation. I know that the season often bogs people down with to-do lists, and stress over parties, and gifts. This year though, I'm not worrying about all I have to do. Instead, I'm enjoying the true meaning of the season; the birth of the Jesus. While I enjoy all of the festivities of Christmas (yes, even wrapping gifts), I tend to get over-focused on things that need to be done, and making sure I've met the expectations of those around me. This year, I have tried to make it clear to everyone around me, that I fully intend on relishing every good and perfect moment. That means not spending every waking second in the kitchen, when I could be spending time with all of the children in my life, remembering that this is a time of joyous celebration. Or running back and forth, from house to house, trying to please everyone, when I could be opening gifts with my husband, by the light of our Christmas tree. And by serving someone that has less then myself, in a tangible way, as I feel everyone should do, for we have been blessed so much.


I look to this season with joy, and excitement! But also with peace in my heart. Yay, it's Christmastime!!

No comments: