Friday, May 16, 2014

Warm...


I've, admittedly, never been a big fan of warm weather. I prefer lazy fall mornings. I'm already dreaming of late September. Visions of sitting on the couch wrapped in my favorite chenille throw while sipping a hot, fresh, pumpkin spice latte (extra cinnamon, please?), and perusing through an old book, or a new magazine are dancing around in my head. All this while watching the leaves unhurriedly change from shades of green to crimson and gold as October approaches. Autumn has always held a sacred place in my heart.

For now, I'm in May. The temperature has been inching towards the 100 degree mark. My schedule is getting busier and crazier, and I am gritting my teeth and baring it, but I don't want to. I don't want simply get through something because it's uncomfortable. I want to find beauty-- even in things that aren't my favorite. 

This year I made a summer bucket list. There were a few reasons I decided to do it, but mostly because I want to be more intentional with my time. There have been many seasons, both metaphorically and literally, where I have basically thrown my hands over my ears, squeezed my eyes shut, and yelled "Lalalalala" like a frustrated 3 year old because I didn't want to deal with something that was uncomfortable. What a waste of precious time. 

Living with intention has been a real goal and challenge for me the last few years. Not just simply "getting through" uncomfortable periods of life, but growing and learning through them. I'm sure I couldn't count on 100 hands the lessons I've missed by trying to elude any sort of incommodious circumstances. 

My intention for this summer is fun. I just want to enjoy myself, my friends, my house, and even the dreaded heat. I want to take road trips, an eat cold watermelon with my cousins while we pelt each other with water balloons. I want to spend an entire day swimming in the ocean. I want to spray lemon juice in my hair and sit in the sun. I want to sit on the back porch

eating fresh salad from my garden and watch the dogs play.

I want to be happy. For me, happiness starts with intention. Not hoping, wishing or dreaming-- but actually doing what I know I love.

Maybe Summer will be my new favorite season? 

No comments: