Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Community Gardening...


I love gardening! It's a fairly new hobby of mine, but one that I consider to be fun and productive. I started my very first veggie garden last spring, and was delighted when I could actually see the fruits (and veggies) of my labor. It also coincided with my decision to be a vegetarian, so it was nice to have fresh food a small harvest away.

Planting my garden got me thinking about how I could "share the wealth" so to speak. I began taking anything extra from the garden to a local food bank, and got together with a few other gardening friends and took theirs too. I hate the way the poor are treated, and what is available for them to eat is usually garbage--really. I don't want to just cast my leftovers to them. I was convicted that if we're really to view one another as "being better then ourselves" then I wasn't doing a very good job. Trying to eat a clean vegetarian diet has me thinking alot about what I'm going to eat. There are people in our town that have to think about how they are going to eat. That got me thinking, what about starting a community garden specifically for food banks, and shelters?

I've been doing some research, and am learning about securing vacant public properties for non-profit happenings in both Lodi and Stockton. Sadly, no one seems to know much about the concept. I'm not giving up though! I really feel like this could be such a good thing! I have a feeling that there will be a lot of red tape involved, but I am determined! I'm just trying to get some others on board! So please, I know many of you who are on my facebook, and even those that read my blog has experience with non-profit stuff! If you have an idea, or would like to get involved, give me a holler!! I would love some input!

No comments: