Monday, June 22, 2009

brunch, high school, limpy the dog, and diet update!





Today was great! Normally I dread Father's day, and Mother's day too. Not because I'm anti-parental days, but because I don't have anyone to celebrate them with. My dad died when I was 19, and my mom and I haven't said a word to one another in about 4 years. Considering both days fall on a Sunday, it makes them extra difficult because you get to sit in church with families that look like they have it all together, and talk about the importance of parents. I know that's not always the case, but I'd be lying if I said I'm never envious of those people.

Today, however, I vowed to make it a good day. I went to Church alone-- which I hate, but it's been hard for Matt to get a Sunday off. I did shed a few tears during a Father's day video, but was all good after that. Then I headed to Matt's parent's house. Matt's dad is out of state visiting Matt's oldest brother, so my Mother-in-law had no plans either. So we went to brunch at Maxim's restaurant (formally Mallards) and enjoyed strawberry crepes, and mimosas. It was nice. Then we decided to head to Phillip's Farms and pick some flowers, and buy some lavender. It turned out to be a nice day. Then made Matt dinner, realized I left my Mother-in-law's lights on when I drove her car, and had to jump-start it, and drove it to Lodi to recharge the battery, went to coffee with Lex and Tess, and gave the dog a bath. Good times were had by all!


The other night I had an experience I wish I didn't have. Matt and I ran into some people that I've known for a long time. So I said "hey how are you?"... nothing. No hi, no hey...Nada. I know I can be too sensitive sometimes, so I just shrugged it off. So we ended up running into them again, and I nicely tried to make conversation...NOTHING! It was pretty annoying because these are people I've known for YEARS! So last night I was telling my (awesome) friend Jenny about what happened, and she said something so simply profound "High School never ends" (which of course reminded me of the Bowling for Soup song with the same title). I realized that is exactly what it's like in high school. If you don't belong to the "group" then you get snubbed. I'm ok with not being a part of the group--SERIOUSLY because when you're involved in something that is so exclusive, it's asking for drama. Plus, I would never want to be a part of a community that is ok with rudeness. I just wish the art of common courtesy was still practiced. But instead it's like being 14 again, and not having a Jansport backpack, and having to beg your parents to get you one because otherwise you don't fit in... I'm SO over it!


In other news, Scout the Wonder Dog is limping. It's been going on for a few weeks, and the vet (and my friend Kristen--who is like the dog whisperer) both advised me to just watch it, and see if it would resolve--nothing. Still limping. He's acting normally, and even playing, but you can tell he's sore. So now we think it might be Elbow Dysplasia. Which most likely means surgery. I love my dog, and whatever he needs we'll do. I just hate seeing him in pain. He's such a great dog, and as strange as this sounds, he was a total gift from God. I wanted a dog, but knew we couldn't have one in our tiny apartment. Scout fell into my lap. He was sick, so thin you could see every bone, and abused-- but the sweetest puppy ever! I take him everyone, and consider him my (unofficial) therapy dog. I struggle with major anxiety, and I swear to you, when I'm feeling panicky, he is right there. The other night, I was driving home, and got turned around. Scout was in the back seat, and I started getting freaked out. He insisted on being in the front seat, laid down and put his head on my lap. I love him!! Anyway, we're hoping, and praying that it's a simple fix, and that he will be back to himself in no time!


Quick diet update-- down another 3lbs, which brings us to 13lbs in 3 weeks. Not too shabby! Of course, I weighed myself *before* brunch today, so that might make a difference... ;-)

3 comments:

Sarah Yanagi said...

LOL ALWAYS weigh yourself BEFORE you eat anything in the morning! Naked!! lol!

I'm so proud of you friend!!!

Sarah said...

I'm usually naked, so that's not a problem... kidding kidding! I need to stop weighing mysef so often. I'm getting a little obessed about it...

Sarah Yanagi said...

lol me too friend...I actually weigh everyday. But I don't think I'm obsessed, I just like to stay on top of it since I'm in the weight loss phase of things. I think once I get down to the maintenance part, I'll probably weigh in just once a week. =)