Friday, December 14, 2007

Falling of the face of the earth...

I must admit. Days like today, I just want to fall off the face of the earth. My day has been great. Everything around me is quiet. I enjoy the silence more then anything. I hate the pollution of sound. I don't really want to fall off the face of the earth. I just want people to forget that I exist for one day. Today I have unanswered and unread e-mails in my inbox, I have a host of missed calls and at least 5 voice mails. Most people know me to hate cell phones. There is always a friend that complains that they can never get a hold of me. I rarely apologize for it-- though I tend to apologize for everything else.

You see, everything has become so urgent. Cell phones have just added to the stress of life. Sure, they're convenient, but I think that we risk the position of being at each others beck and call for that convince. I don't mind being there for my friends. I'm sure most would agree though, that 99% of cell phone calls are not super important. I never want to be the person that relies on my phone so much that I'm lost without it. I'm probably the only person under the age of 80 on the face of the planet that still writes names and phone numbers into a book.

I just want one day where I don't feel that nagging anxiousness when the phone rings. I just want quiet. I want to go outside and hear nothing more then birds singing and trees blowing in the wind. One day enjoying something that doesn't have a plug on it or batteries. Playing cards or writing (actually using a pen) or doing nothing and having no expectations.

Oh what my dream would would look like. If you called me today. I'll get back to you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I totally agree with your take on cell phones. I absolutely hate them. I love having silent days too!

Sarah said...

He he!! I love you, Erin!