In honor of 2010, I've decided to post my favorite things about the last year-- in no particular order.
10) Gaining prospective. Matt and I together gained some prospective about certain things in our lives. It wasn't an easy process-- that's for sure. However, I firmly believe that trails produce character. If we didn't gain prospective, or learn anything from the hardships in our lives, we would be wasting opportunities to grow.
9) Learning to let go. I had some things I was holding onto, and by doing so it was holding me back from the joy I could have been experiencing in my life. I know I can't change the past. All I can do is acknowledge that I was hurt, and move forward. Baby steps. Those feelings still creep up now and then, but I feel so much peace.
8) iPhone! Do you like how I went from deep stuff to materialism? That's just how I roll. ;-) I'm so glad I took the plunge into modern technology! No more getting lost. No more having people complain that they could never contact me. No more wondering how I was going to surf the web while taking a bath. Yes, iphone-- you have changed my life!
7) Kittens. I said I would never own Cats. However, this girl has a huge, (and at times) annoyingly soft heart for all living things. So I took some kittens home with the idea that I'd find them each a new home. Well, all three got a home-- but two of them got a home with us. Now that we have them, they are a part of our little family. They provide some awesome entertainment!
6) New Job. I'm working at a Veterinary hospital in Tracy, Ca. I hated my first 3 months. I can't watch Lion King without bawling my little eyes out, so if you can imagine the sad scenarios of a Vet clinic, you could imagine why I would hate it. I cried every. single. day. I told Matt that I almost felt bipolar-- I'd be fine, and BAM something would make me lose it. I still shed some tears on occasion. But I work with great people, and am learning that the happy parts are great, and the sad parts are the reality of life's process. I can honestly say now that I really like it.
5) Unanswered Prayers. Yes, like the song. There are things that I have been hoping and praying for in my life. There were lots of situations in the last year where I thought I wanted some specific thing, but in hindsight, am thankful I don't always get what I think I want.
4) Beautiful Memories. 2010 will be in my head for years to come. Matt and I took lots of little trips, which I always enjoy. Some of my favorites though aren't what you'd expect. Like sitting in the hospital waiting room for 6 hours watching the Olympics together when Matt had MRSA, or crying over coffee at the downtown starbucks feeling complete brokenness. All part of life-- but trying to see the beauty in all of it!
3) Friendships Gained and Lost. 2010 was a crazy relationship year. I committed to myself at the beginning of 2010 that I was going to get rid of any drama-- or dramatic people in my life. I've never been very good at placing boundaries, or standing up for myself. So there were some friendship deaths this year. Some bloody-- but necessary. There were also friendships strengthened-- and even though I can count my good friends on one hand, I'm happy. Bad friendships make you appreciate good friends that much more.
2) A Better Marriage. For a few months there, Matt and I were feeling a little disconnected. Our schedules left very little time to spend together, and we weren't quite understanding each other the way we normally do-- which led to some frustrating conflict. We're working through it, and are already feeling the effects of our commitment to work it out, spend more time together, and give each other the benefit of the doubt.
1) A Renewed Hope for the Future. 2009 was a hard HARD year. I went through a time of feeling depressed, hopeless, intensely frustrated, and all around awful. I wasn't sleeping-- it was one of the most painful seasons of my life. 2010 brought some renewed hope. I started praying that the painful seasons of my life wouldn't be in vain. That they would bring renewed clarity, and peace to my life. It still hurts, but I know now that it was all for a reason. I'm praying for more of the same in 2011!
My hope for 2011 is to experience more true, lasting joy. To be able to see the good in all situations. To get past anxieties that have held me back, and truly experience life to the fullest. To soak up any blessings that come my way, and use them to bless the lives of others!
Happy New Year!