Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Charity and Its Fruits

I've been reading this book for quite some time. In fact, while I'm one to normally breeze through books, "Charity and It's Fruits" has given me a run for my money.

I search for hidden humor in all things. This book has none. Normally a book of this kind wouldn't last 5 seconds in my possession. I'd have sold it on e-bay or given it to a friend by now. It's so thought provoking though that even though I'm reading it a page at a time, I can't stop thinking about it throughout the day. Jonathan Edwards is an amazingly hard-core writer.

In recent days, I've struggled with forgiveness. Anger has stolen my joy and buried the commandment to "Love thy neighbor". It makes my heart heavy that I've allowed anger to steal that from me. While I'm trying to get past it, it's one of the hardest things I've endured. It's good though to go through it. I have more compassion for those that struggle with anger, as I've seen how hard it is to overcome.


"Do you think the injuries you have received from your fellow-man are more than you have offered to God? Has your enemy been more base, more unreasonable, more ungrateful, than you have to the High and Holy One? Have his offenses been more heinous or aggravated, or more in number, than yours have been against your Creator, Benefactor, and Redeemer? Have they been more provoking and exasperating than your sinful conduct has been to him who is the author of all our mercies, and to whom you are under the highest obligations?"

Gosh, I feel like such a sinner when I read this.

No comments: